Finding help

Your General Practitioner (GP) can assist you with mental health support and information, and will be able to arrange a referral to a mental health practitioner if required.

In an educational facility or in the workplace, you may be able to find support and referral through a school counsellor, university counselling service, or an employee assistance program.

If necessary, a referral can be arranged to a psychologist (an allied health professional) or to a psychiatrist (a doctor specialising in mental ill health).  Medicare rebates are available in association with such referrals.

You can also access a psychologist yourself for support for a personal problem, or for therapy as part of treatment for a disorder.  To find a psychologist in your local area, you can contact the Australian Psychological Society or use their online Find a Psychologist service.